Halloween is a fun time of year when our kids dress up in fun costumes and go trick or treating door to door. It is also a great time for treats for not so little ghosts and goblins. One of our family’s favourite traditions is to go to Lester’s Farm and pick out our pumpkin. We pick out a nice round pumpkin and bring it home to carve. My favourite part is not the carving of the pumpkin, but in roasting the delicious pumpkin seeds and enjoying them as a healthy, tasty snack.
The greatest thing about roasted pumpkin seeds is that you can make them any flavour you choose, salty, sweet, spicy, you name it. One idea you can do is coat the seeds in your favourite popcorn seasoning before roasting. Here is how to roast pumpkin seeds
Roasted pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin seeds Salt
Water Seasoning (optional) I used 2 tsp chilli powder, 2 tsp brown sugar for my 2nd batch
1) Scoop out seeds and pulp from pumpkin
2) Separate the seeds from pulp by rinsing seeds in a strainer under running water
3) Soak the seeds overnight in saltwater (1/4 C salt, 3C water)
4) Take seeds out of water and place on paper towel
5) Sprinkle salt over seeds (or coat seeds in seasoning by tossing in a bowl)
6) Put seeds in frying pan (no oil needed) and cook at low-med heat, stirring constantly until seeds become dry and turn a golden color
It is important to soak the seeds overnight because it breaks down enzymes in the seeds that make them difficult to digest. Soaking in salt water also brings out the flavour in the pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy and have a safe and happy Halloween!