1 cup icing sugar
1 cup ground almonds
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
dash of salt
1 egg white
- Gently blend together all the ingredient except for the egg whites.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk and beat slightly with a fork.
- Add a little bit at a time of the egg whites to the almond-sugar mixture and mix with your hands until it starts to become mealy.
- Continue to add enough of the remaining egg whites until a smooth texture and consistency is achieved.
- Form into a ball or loaf then wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
*You may add food coloring and work it into the marzipan to make all kinds of garnishes and decorations!
*Equal parts powder sugar and ground almonds is key for best texture and product. Store bought marzipan usually is a lot tougher, stiff and harder to work with due to using less almonds and more sugar to cut production costs.